US Sentences Mexican for Illegal Reentry after Deportation

On Thursday, 2 May, United States Attorney Gretchen C.F. Shappert announced the sentence of a Mexican for reentering the US after initial deportation. 46-year-old Manuel Alberto Fuentes-Acosta was sentenced as well as given a $100 special assessment by Anne E. Thompson, a visiting judge. Fuentes-Acosta who pleaded guilty on February 4, 2019, had been in detention since November 2018. He went to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) primary inspection by himself while trying to board the American Airline flight. He told the primary officer that his presence in the country was illegal and reiterated this to the secondary officer upon referral to secondary inspection. He was thereafter arrested. Illegal reentry Following his arrest, Fuentes-Acosta revealed to Homeland Security agents that his first illegal entry into the US was in 1996 and was sent back to Mexico from Laredo, TX in 2017. He remained briefly in Mexico before reentering the US by evading inspection. He said he was transported into the US, in April 2018, across the river to Del Rio, TX by a smuggler he paid between $2,000 and $3,000. According to an investigation conducted by Homeland Security Investigations, Fuentes-Acosta was deported from the US (Laredo, TX) to Mexico (Nuevo Laredo) on June 1, 2017, and did not get the approval of the Attorney General before reentering the country. Assistant U.S. Attorney Rhonda Williams-Henry oversaw the prosecution, and Fuentes-Acosta was sentenced and had special assessment order. Stay in touch and get alerts & emails directly in your inbox by subscribing to Visa Crimes Check here for our latest immigration updates, local immigration activities, emerging trends, visa news updates for Australia, Canada, US, UK, Germany and more.

Share your Comments

Please Login to view/submit Comments & Replys

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
Chat Icon